Theraboat

After 11 hours of printing, the main body of the Theragun v0 is tangible and definitely looks like a boat. It’s relatively hollow¬†as well because the infill is pretty low, so I’m 100% sure it would float. The motor and planetary gears fit nice and snugly into their respective positions, which is super satisfying.

The next thing to print is the cap that gets set onto the gear train and also holds the bearing. It’s going to be a nice a quick print, but because of the awesome change in dimensions that happens between CAD and 3D printing, I’ll probably have to do a lot of print-and-check.

Full On Theragun

Finally got the entire Theragun v0 CAD’ed out in Solidworks. At least for the most part. This does not include space for a trigger or any electronics that need to go inside, though I’m planning on the 12V power supply being external.

 

Here’s a transparent view so the insides can be seen. It’s a pretty simple mechanism, though I understand the pushrod thing that oscillates back and forth is going to need to be fixed so it can hold a soft massage-y thingy.

 

Over the next few days I’ll be 3D-printing, readjusting, and sanding the pieces to get everything snugly assembled.

Theragun v0 Catch-Up: Drill Salvage and 3D Printed Gearbox

I’ve finally gotten back into documenting my projects and I’m hoping that I keep at it. My newest thingy was supposed to be a Christmas present, but this posting date is very obviously much past that. Oops. Anyways, I’m finally getting around to it, and this is what I had made up before Christmas.

A little background you should know: this device is not an original concept. There is already a Theragun out there that costs upwards of $600 and my goal with this devolution is to replicate the real thing for a fraction of the cost. The Theragun is a device used for relaxing muscles and easing pain by vibrating the affected muscle at a frequency higher than that of pain signals. This is supposed to block out pain signals to the brain and soothe muscles.

This initial gearbox was just a way to get the creative juices flowing and have something tangible to help visualize the rest of the gun. The motor and set of planetary gears came from a drill bought at GoodWill. Originally, the drill’s gearbox had three stages of gear reduction, but I didn’t really need to step down the motor that much so I just took out the first stage for use. Because there was no shaft conveniently jutting out of the sun gear I had to print out a shaft with a nice little toothed cap at the end to fit snugly over the gear. The shaft was stuck through a bearing set in the cap covering the whole gear train and screwed into a wheel so more mechanisms can be tacked on in the future.

Soon I should have the full gun CAD’ed out and ready for 3D printing. More to come.